7 Stone’s Brick Block

The first blacksmith shop in the villages was constructed on this site in the early 1850’s. It was replaced by a stone structure that was removed in 1879 to make way for the first brick building in Metamora. It was constructed in 1879 for Dr. David Stone. It contained two storerooms with a public hall and offices on the second floor. For years, this building operated as a drug store until 1909 when the Metamora State Savings Bank moved in. There was a succession of banks since with the last bank to occupy the building in the late 1980’s. Since then, it was home to A Bit Used Tack Shop, and currently, Sadie Hayes Styles.

Related Articles


Henderson Store

8 Henderson StoreNot much is known about this building. Built around 1890, the Henderson Store demonstrates the Queen Anne architectural influence in the small-planed glass windows and decorative brickwork. Recently remodeled, it retains much of its historic...

read more