9 Wilder Bros. Store
Walter Wilder came to Michigan in 1878 from Wellington, Ontario and for a short time engaged in carriage manufacturing in Detroit. He moved to Metamora and worked in the same business until 1880 when he decided to go into farming. In 1882, his brother, Rufus, joined him and they built the Wilder Bros. Store on the northwest corner of High and Oak streets. Eventually, Henry Townsend took over and ran a furniture store.
The post office once occupied the north wing. Today, the front of the old post office has been removed, but if you look, the steps are still there. This building follows Queen Anne influence. Notice the paired brackets under the eaves. This building later became a hardware store, and underwent renovation in 2004. It is now the home to Village Saltbox, offering decor, collectibles and antiques.
Pilgrim Congregation Church
10 Pilgrim Congregational ChurchThe first meeting of the Pilgrim Congregational Church was held on March 13, 1878. Two days later, 21 men and women joined the church as charter members. Membership grew rapidly and in April 1878, Joseph Darwood of Dryden was contracted...
8 Henderson StoreNot much is known about this building. Built around 1890, the Henderson Store demonstrates the Queen Anne architectural influence in the small-planed glass windows and decorative brickwork. Recently remodeled, it retains much of its historic...
Stone’s Brick Block
7 Stone's Brick BlockThe first blacksmith shop in the villages was constructed on this site in the early 1850's. It was replaced by a stone structure that was removed in 1879 to make way for the first brick building in Metamora. It was constructed in 1879 for Dr....